Clean, Simple, and Professional...

      I chose the Emporio theme for my blog layout. I chose this theme for a number of reasons. I wanted a layout that was clean looking, simple, professional, and allowed for the display of both photos and text content, where neither the text nor the photos distracted too much from one another. The Emporio theme seemed like the best balance of these attributes, followed closely by the "Simple" themes. I also chose the white background to ensure that my content appeared clean, and was not being distracted from by background images.

      From my experience, clients tend to prefer websites that are clean, simple, professional, and get their message to their target audience effectively. Websites, or in this case blog themes, should have the key objective of creating an effective means of displaying a person or company's core beliefs with an effective and gripping message. Therefor themes as well as websites should not have distracting images that aren't relevant to the message trying to be conveyed. It is also typically indicative of a lack of high quality content, when a company, blogger, or developer uses distracting backgrounds.

      So, now that we have established that distracting backgrounds are often a detriment to a sponsored blog or website, let's talk about cleanliness. When writing for a client or employer, crisp and clean layouts seem to be preferred, if not the client's primary request. A phrase I often hear in the first few minutes of discussing page layout with a client is "I want my website to be like Apple's website." When choosing a layout this phrase often comes to mind. Apple, as well as the majority of other companies leading their industry in innovative thinking, tend to chose layouts for their content that have sharp, unrounded corners, white or black backgrounds, and choose fonts that are aggressive when making a point, but softer fonts when appealing to a softer emotion set. So these are features I typically look for when publishing content for a large, professional, organization. Some companies prefer bright colors and background images for displaying content, but they are typically smaller companies with lower budgets and a clientele demographic I am less accustomed to dealing with.

Comments