Week 4 Part 2: Is it Effective?



What makes these websites effective?


      Microsoft and Evolve Skateboards are two websites I visit often that aren't social media related. Both websites have fantastic aesthetic designs, flawless functionality, numerous interactive features,  and have constantly changing featured products. These factors in addition to links to social media and other products of interest keep my interest peaked. Despite these websites not being designed for daily use, such as social media platforms, they are able to draw me back in time and time again. The design quality of these websites is something all web developers should strive for. 

     Microsoft.com is a very well designed website that has an extraordinarily broad range of both software and hardware for sale. What makes me come back to the website time and time again, is their constantly updating variety of products that are related to my field of interest. This being said, if the products were displayed in a less appealing manner, or if the website was difficult to understand or navigate, it would likely diminish my use of the website. While Microsoft does have a great website, there are a couple of design aspects I would want to adjust. If Microsoft.com was my website to manage, I would have a more exciting and vibrant home page, instead of only doing so on individual product pages. The website would also benefit from product image icons in the navigation menu instead of just named links. 

     Evolve Skateboards' website does a great job at enticing me to reuse it as well, but goes about acquiring and maintaining my interest in a different way than Microsoft. I generally find myself on Microsoft.com after either a Google search, or browsing the website after a software update to my device. Where with Evolve Skateboards, I generally land on the website after clicking a link on Youtube, Instagram, or Facebook. While my viewing of the Evolve website is less deliberate than with Microsoft, Evolve has a very exciting and visual-media-heavy home page which maintains my interest in the website for more than enough time to view all of their newest products. The one complaint I have about the Evolve website is that a large percentage of their displayed products are generally out of stock, which is less of a web design issue, and more of a logistics and management issue. 











Comments